Tuesday, June 24, 2008

ANOTHER REFLECTION

If many of you haven't guessed by now the visit of The Moving Wall to Ossipee was a very touching event for me. I worked hard on the event, and learned a great deal. We had a get together last Sunday at the organizers house, a way for them to say thank you for all the volunteers. We had a great time, and were able to look at the scrapbooks put together during the event, as well as seeing some of the pictures that were taken. It brought a tear back to my eye as I relived again the experiences of Memorial Day Weekend. I borrowed the guest books to read peoples comments over the last couple of days, and was deeply moved by all the great comments.

As a writer I dream of putting that combination of words down on paper that will stir all sorts of images in ones head when they read it, and there were several lines like that in the guest books, of sons lost or friends never to come home again. The one entry in the guest book that really leaped out at me is the following, I will not list the full name of the author but what she had to write was very haunting and powerful to me....

"God Bless You All! Robert, I'm so sorry for giving you that one last kiss, Kathy."
When I read this I had to stop cold in my tracks, a tear streamed down my cheek, and a lump formed in my throat. It conjured up all sorts of images of what might have happened. This powerful statement has now become a life's definition for me. Never leave someone without letting them know how you feel. In the lottery of life, you never know what may happen, and that last moment can never be recaptured. You may never have the chance again to tell that special person how you really feel, life is to short to waste any moment playing games or being angry. Part of me would like to write to Kathy and find out the story of this very poignant entry in the guest book, and part of me says to let the entry speak for itself, and bring out the images it does. Whatever I do, that one entry in a guest book at the Moving Wall in a small town in rural New Hampshire has had a life changing force in my life....

"Robert, I am so sorry for not giving you that one last kiss...." Don't let this happen to you

No comments: