Friday, September 24, 2010

Lean Not On Your Own Understanding

Psalms 35 tells us to

Trust in the LORD with all your heart

and lean not on your own understanding;


This is very sage advice, and something that most humans can not get their hands or their heads around. Sigmund Freud spent a good amount of his professional career studying the effects and ramifications of the parts of the human psyche one of whic is commonly called the EGO. I think this is a very appropriately named part of the psyche because wehn we rely on our EGO instead of relying and leaning on God we

Edge

God

Out

of our lives. We rly and lean on ourselves rather than relying on the divine love of God to provide for us.


Let's face it , when we rely on our own understaning rather than leaning on God we have a tendency to really mess things up. We make decisions that are not always in our best interest in the long run, we jump at the immediately attractive, not thinking of the long term results. In retrospect many of the problems we find ourselves in todays economy is the result of us Edging God Out of our lives and not trusting in God. We bought houses that were way out of our means, aided by mrtgage brokers that made it very attractive to be able to do by offering interest only loans for a period of time, not worrying about what was going to happen when the principle kicked in, or taking variable rate loans that they knew were low and not thinking about the ramifications when the interest rate kicked up a notch and you were already stretching the budget to make the payment on the low interest rate. We have a tendency to be a greedy society always wanting more than we can really afford, but if we wait on the Lord all the things we need will come to us at the appropriate time.


Leaning Not on our own understanding is also one of the inspriations for my walking stick, with the inspirational engravings, they are to remind us to trust in God and lean on soemthing in times of trouble and uncertainty rather than leaning on ourselves. I am struggling at times with this myself in this time of extreme transition in my life. Having been out of work for going on thirteen months I am really trying to lean on God and His tming for my life and understand the lessons I need to learn form the ordeal. He has blessed me with a renewed creativity in my writing as well as other opportunities, but I have to admit it can be very hard to give yourself over and not Edge God Out of my life and try to force things in my own time rather than His.



Have Blessed Day

No comments: