Thursday, November 29, 2012

The Walking Stick

Alost noone uses old fashioned wood walking sticks anyore, but if you look out on my porch, you will see four or five of them leaning up against the railing at any given time. There is something about the feeling of of the wood in my hand, as I swing it back and forth while I walk. It is comforting and familiar.

Oh sure people use the new high tech poles that resemble ski poles with the impact absorption tips, and at one point I thought I would like a set of those, but once I tried a set they felt foregn and out of place in the woods.. The people I see using them always seem to be rushing someplace, as if the walk is a chore to get done before they go someplace more interesting. To me the walk is the interesting thing.

To me the walk is part of the journey, a chance to get out in nature and see what mysteries God wishes to reveal to me at that time. In my journies out in the back forty, I have leaned against my walkign stick and gazed back over the field at a mist shrouded Green Mountain. I have looked down at amazement at moose prints, or coyote tracks. I have seen bear, deer and moose. I have used it as a brace while I have watched squirrels and chipmunks scurrying across the leaves. My walking stick is like an old friend, it fits comfortably in my hand. If you stop by the farm for a visit, chances are I will offer you a walking stick. I walk in the woods in search of the perfect sapling, and cut it by hand, and rough size it right there in the spot. I then bring them down tot he house to work on, and usually sit in the driveway while i strip the bark off with a knife I had bought in Norway many years ago.Once the bark is off I'll sand down any rough spots that could possibly irritate the hands, and give the stick a nice smooth finish where your hand could possibly rest. I will also burn in a quote such as "Walk Daily WIth God" or "Life is a journey not a destination". After that is done, lately I have taken hand rubbing a tung oil finish into the stick to help keep it looking nice as long as it can.

My favorite stick say to Walk Daily with God", which is taken from a poem I have written, for it reminds me to be with Him always, and to give thanks for all the little blessings in my life.

So the next time you take a walk, hang up the high tech poles, pick up a trusty wooden staff, fit it to your hand like a glove, and really take a walk in nature, and notice truly notice what it has to offer.


Walk Daily with God


When life has you down,
And hardships pile up.
When the world is blue,
And you are depressed.
This advice I give to you,
Take a walk with God.

When you feel forsaken,
And the mountains high.
When the path you are on,
Seems to lead nowhere.
Heed this advice,
Take a walk with God.

When times are good,
And life is happy.
When the sun does shine,
And the birds are singing.
Give your thanks,
And take a walk with God.

Share with Him,
All your sorrows.
Share with Him,
All your fears.
Talk with Him as a friend,
As you walk with God.

Laugh with Him,
As the jays do play.
Give thanks to Him,
For the tranquil sunsets.
Do all this my friend,
As you walk with God.

Remember this, that God
Is here from start to end.
And we are but a dash,
between two years.
So take the time,
And walk with God.

He has the time,
To spend with you.
He has the desire,
To commune with you.
My friend in good and bad,
Remember to walk daily with God.

Paul Bartoswicz

No comments: