Saturday, November 10, 2012

Veteran's Day

Tomorrow is Veterans day, while I do not ask for any special recognition for my service, as I did it out of love for my country, no matter its flaws, I am glad the day has been set aside to thank veterans for their service, just as I am glad that Memorial day is set aside those who gave the ultimate sacrifice in service to this country. That being said, I can no longer stand by and be quiet about an issue that has bothered me for a long time. The commercialization of all holidays, I am very upset that the day to honor those Veterans who didn't come home, as well as the day to honor all Veterans have become a driving force for sales. We salute those who gave their lives for this country, now come in and buy from us. Or, We salute all those who served, you honor and dedication is an inspiration to us all, now come in and buy from us. I do recognize that some people and businesses do honor Veterans with no ulterior motive, as is the case of a couple of local restaurants that offer significant discounts to Veterans on a regular basis, (one is the 11th of every month for half price meals, and another is 10% every day) I appreciate this, though I seldom take advantage of it. It just bothers me that so many businesses put on a patriotic supportive face just to get you in the door to spend your money at their place of business, it is hey look at me, see how patriotic I am wouldn't you want to spend your money here? Don't wish me a happy Veteran's Day for to me the day is bittersweet. when I look at the day, I think of those who didn't come home, or those who came home with serious injuries that have altered their lives forever. The same goes for Memorial Day, there is nothing happy about it, it is a very sad day that so many gave up their lives in service to the country. Just my two cents woth, if you want to honor us, just take our hand and shake it and welcome us home, but don't tell us how happy it is.

No comments: